Create Space is a flexible, comfortable and imaginative space where you'll find art materials and activities inspired by the exhibitions in DCA galleries. Come in and make your own art to display on the walls or take home with you. You can also relax on our comfy sofas with a range of children's books that relate to the themes of the exhibition.
Visiting Create Space
- Create Space is a free, drop-in space
- Children under 12 should be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Please tidy away materials when you are finished
- Opening hours can vary, check the event below
- If Create Space is closed when you visit, you can find a selection of activity sheets and materials on our Art Cart which is located in the Information Space.
Family Activity Calendar
Our Family Activity Calendar brings together all the fun family workshops, film screenings and events happening at DCA over the coming month. You can use it to see what's coming up and plan your visits.
It includes the opening hours for Create Space and details of one-off events as well as our regular family workshops, screenings and events, including:
- Bring a Baby
- Discovery Family Film Club
- Family Art Lab
- Messy Play
- Soundplay Drop-in
Download our latest calendar below.
Family Activities at DCAView More
Relaxed: Supa Modo
Relaxed: Revolting Rhymes
Azur & Asmar
Workshops and events
As well as the selection of family workshops that feature on our Family Activity Calendar, we also host:
- Craft Sunday: Each month we invite a professional maker to teach a workshop in their chosen craft.
- Spring Holiday Pop-up: During the spring school holidays, we take over Gallery 1 and fill it with creative workshops, drop-in activities and colourful artwork created by visitors and community groups.
- Discovery Film Festival: To coincide with a packed programme in the cinema, we organise family workshops and events as well as welcoming school groups for learning sessions and tours.
We have a number of long running partnerships with community groups and organisations from across the city, including Tayside Healthcare Arts Trust, Dundee International Women's Centre, Amina Muslim Women's Resource Centre, Options in Life and Arthurstone Youth Group. We work on projects with these groups, both in DCA and out in the community.
During the summer and autumn school holidays we also take part in events around the city, from Family Food and Fun events to Playful Gardens at Dundee Botanic Gardens.
We share more about these projects through News & Stories and through our Learning Newsletter.
Read our latest Learning storiesView all news & stories
Celebrating 20 years of Discovery Film Festival
Dunning Primary test drive new Animating Science resources
Group visits and tours
We can offer workshops, creative skills sessions, gallery and building tours.
If you’d like to try some creative activities at DCA, we have something to suit all ages and abilities; whether you’re a community group or a school looking for Curriculum for Excellence-related activity.
You could try hands-on art making, printmaking or animation tasters that link to our programme, local issues or school topics. We have experience in planning and delivering a wide range of art and film education activity to suit your needs.
If you are interested in bringing your class or group to DCA, get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have a great selection of quick and easy activity sheets for you to download, all inspired by the exhibitions in our galleries. Print them off at home or if you don't have access to a printer, you can copy them onto a blank piece of paper.